Raspberry Pi!

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Captain Krunch, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi computer (it is $35)

It looks very fun and interesting since it is the size of a credit card :p

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ for more info on the specs and stuff

It is good to learn programming with :p

What do you think of it?

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  2. The only programming it supports is Python, so I wouldn't recommend it. What's the point of the Raspberry Pi if you are just going to learn how to program? Just learn on a computer! Languages/Compilers don't take a lot of space on your computer(such as Python). This seems like it's more for testing different applications for Linux imo.

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  3. It supports any language that can be compiled by ARMv6

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  4. Even still. Why wouldn't you just learn coding via your own computer? There are some great resources out there! If you want to learn Python or web dev, then hop over to http://www.codecademy.com/.

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  5. i have it and its good for just starting so i totally recomend it sooo ya
    but ur goign to have to install softwares on it

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  6. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

It can be used just for fun, you can't really take it anywhere because you can't keep a monitor in your pocket haha. It's pretty much just a super small desktop similar to the performance of an Intel Atom netbook(which tends to piss me off xD). One thing I really do like about it is it has a very nice Linux distribution. I'm a big fan of Linux and wish I could run it from my laptop if every program weren't only for Windows and Mac.

Posted Feb 14, 2013
  7. Too cool. :D

Posted Feb 15, 2013
  8. Saabu

Saabu

I have a Pi, it's really neat, I'm planning to just turn it into a router or an XBMC system :p

Posted Sep 25, 2013
  9. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Way to necropost lol

Posted Sep 25, 2013
  10. Oh hey this post is still alive? So I'm having a lot of fun with my Pi.
    I'm in the works of a project involving arcade games on mine. I opted to install archlinux instead of raspbian and have most of the emulators installed. I ordered a joystick and buttons from adafruit and will be using them with my arcade cabinet i bought off a friend ($75). End result big picture? An arcade machine with a camera that will publish/stream replays of matches, as well as the competitors reactions throughout the match. I've been thinking about building a few machines and hosting tournaments at bars for fun, with the highlights hosted online.

Posted Sep 29, 2013
  11. I got it last year. It is just sitting somewhere and I honestly don't even know where it is...
    So it's a cool device but I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted Sep 29, 2013
  12. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTT. That sounds amazing. I'm gonna buy a few Pi's this coming winter, you just gave me a great idea haha. Ik at least one of the Pi's was going to be used as a game emulator for a lot of handhelds, then another for some pointless BTC mining lol. Now I'm wondering if I can run game servers of of 'em. Pi's are just about the greatest computer ever in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Posted Sep 29, 2013
  13. Maddog

Maddog

You wont run a game server on a Pi.

I will agree, Pi's are good for Kid's, but nothing more than a "toy" to the tech industry.

Posted Sep 29, 2013
  14. http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4621

They have a place in the industry I think. Its size and power make it a viable alternative for PCs that exist for running batch jobs or scheduled tasks (administrative). Excellent possibilities for setting up immediate ad hoc wireless networks (surveying, urban emergency systems)
    Regarding server-like implementations, it depends on the content being hosted and the traffic expected. Depending on your upload speed cap, a minecraft server should run and serve a playable experience for 4 of your friends on say... a 3-5mb upload speed. You have better possibilities (and still a cheaper alternative) with buying multiple pis and running your own microcloud

There are a lot of critics out there, but the little guy has plenty to show off.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Posted Sep 29, 2013
  15. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

i have a pi. it's an openvpn. when I travel and use free wifi, I know my stuff is safe.

Posted Sep 29, 2013
  16. Maddog

Maddog

Yes. MC on 500mb Ram, Ingenious!

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  17. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  18. Maddog

Maddog

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  19. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  20. Maddog

Maddog

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  21. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Not once did I say I would be running with 6 people on the server, I said I could, my point is that running a game server is possible. Your argument is invalid.

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  22. Maddog

Maddog

Possible but illogical. Anyone can RUN a gameserver.
    But just because you can RUN it, doesn't mean it's worth running it on such low-end hardware...

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  23. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

It is logical, many people run Pi servers for private use. And exactly, anyone can RUN a server, just admitted that your arguement was invalid. And running a small, private server is ideal for low-end hardware. Saying I'll run a large server on a Pi is like saying I'll run a small server on a workstation with 3 Quadros, it's stupid, no one would do that.

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  24. Gasp

Gasp

bleh is my opinion

Posted Sep 30, 2013
  25. Maddog

Maddog

I'll admit my argument was invalid when you can spell argument :'L

And why run a private Pi server when you can run a Listen Server which would work much better on the specs?

Posted Oct 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.