Game Spotlight: Hello Neighbor

Discussion in 'Community News' started by december, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. december

december Member

header v1.png
    Artist: @becky | Writers: @Qadassa @Faded @Hotdogs @Le Chair | Editor: @Qadassa @Hydra @becky

RELEASE DETAILS
    Dynamic Pixels began as a small team of young graduates whose focus was to make games for phones. In 2010, they had their first real success with the iOS game “MewSim,” acquiring over eight-million downloads. Since then they’ve had successes with other games, such as SpeedRunners. Throughout their time as a team, they've also worked alongside big-name companies like Disney and Samsung. Although this small team has been out of school for some time, they’ve decided to act on their passion for gaming and attempt a project far larger than their usual small-scale games.

Hello Neighbor will be published by TinyBuild. They have published hits such as Party Hard, SpeedRunners, and Streets of Rogue.

Hello Neighbor was actually supposed to be released a few months ago but they were like fuck that and pushed it back due to there being some issues. But that has all been fixed now and tomorrow, December 8th, it will be released for Windows, Mac, and Xbox One for $29.99. The game will be featuring very cool mechanics and gameplay, an enticing plot, and an ending worthy of the hype it’s been getting for quite some time.

GAMEPLAY
    After an unfortunate loss of your job back in the city, you can't afford to pay rent anymore, so you decide to head home. With your mountain of luggage piled on top of your car, you arrive back home, only to spot a peculiar house just across the way: your neighbor’s house. It looks old, weather-beaten, and is home to a very strange neighbor, whose basement contains an unknown horror.

In this first-person stealth-horror game, your task is to use various tools and methods to figure out a way to enter your neighbor's house and basement while avoiding traps, spooky encounters, and of course, the Neighbor.

There are different fear rooms scattered throughout the Neighbor’s house. Once you complete a fear room, your character gets a new ability. These include: double jump, back-off, and invisibility through crouching and ducking, which are all required to explore the basement and beat the final boss.

WHY AM I IN HIS HOUSE?
    In your exploration of the Neighbor’s house, you may notice the highly-guarded door that leads to the basement. Your goal is to sneak into the basement without being caught by the neighbor. The only way to enter the basement is to steal the key from him. In order to get the key you need to do various tasks and mini-games throughout the house.

Once you enter the basement, all you see is a dark staircase that leads to what seems like a bottomless pit. However, your journey isn’t over yet, much more is awaiting you down there.

THERE ARE ONLY TWO: YOU AND HIM...AND HIS ROBOTIC PET SHARK

characters.png

WHO IS HE?
    The Neighbor is an odd man that dresses in a yellow shirt, blue plaid vest, brown & red pants, and black gloves that he never seems to take off. He makes use of various traps around his house, never leaving it. He becomes very hostile towards you very quickly and has never been seen with anything but a frown on his face, like he's always up to something.

WHO AM I?
    Your character is portrayed as a tall, slender male with choppy black hair, sporting a flannel buttoned-up shirt and a red and white tee. You wear a pair of simple jeans and a simple watch. With your bushy eyebrows and 9 o’clock shadow, you watch from your window as your neighbor anxiously patrols the halls of his home, looking for any intruders that might cross his path.

COOL FEATURES
    ADVANCED AI

The game uses a very advanced AI that learns from every move you make. With this advanced system, the game will become harder every step of the way. The Neighbor will put traps in areas you frequent and barricade other areas. If a trap won’t work, he’ll use cameras. If that doesn’t work, he'll start locking doors and windows. All these features increase the difficulty of the game, making it harder to find out what your neighbor is hiding in his basement. You will have to be very sneaky, predicting and outsmarting every move the Neighbor makes.

ENVIRONMENTAL INTERACTIONS
    In the game, you get many options to distract and outsmart the Neighbor. A critical feature is the interaction with objects. When inside the house, you'll have to hide from him. You might put out the light, but you could also unscrew the light bulb and use it later. This big feature of interaction makes the game way more interesting to play; you can play the game multiple times with different approaches and outcomes each time.

INVENTORY SYSTEM
    As mentioned with the light bulb, you are able to pick up various items around the Neighbor's house to aid you in your quest. However, you only have access to 4 inventory slots, because this game is actually realistic.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    MINIMUM:

Processor: i5 and up
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: GTX 770 and up
    Storage: 2 GB available space
    Sound Card: Stereo. Play with good stereo.

TRAILER

Posted Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 1
  2. Faded

Faded She got me going psycho Division Manager

Looks fun, can't wait to try it out! :D

Posted Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

This is almost as advanced as the CoD Fish A.I.

Games need to stop calling "advanced A.I." a thing. It's all too relative and having the game keep track of your most common locations is anything but advanced.

Map<String, Integer> map = new Map();
    if(isPlayerInGarage()){
    map.increment("garage", 1);
    }

Posted Dec 7, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. wtf kind of coding is this

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

Generic.

Which language would you prefer?

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Weebs

Weebs Member

Looks like a fun game, but I feel $30 is too steep for me.

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  7. was just wondering, looked kinda like c#

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  8. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

I'll never go anywhere near that shitstack.

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. GrimReaper

GrimReaper The Eldest Child Member

Hot

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  10. TheFrogger

TheFrogger Member

This game isn't as good as people say. Just another overrated "scary" game, can't wait for it to be the next FNAF series

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  11. Le Chair

Le Chair Member

Wut's wrong with C#

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Dorito

Dorito Member

S P O O K Y

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  13. Icynato

Icynato

[​IMG]

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Ark

Ark Member

Yeah!

Posted Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

I appreciate decent works when the creators don't flaunt something they didn't create, or even have to start with.

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  16. Darkfrywarrior

Darkfrywarrior Recruit

Hmmmm...So tempting

Posted Dec 8, 2017
  17. D3faulT

D3faulT Member

I love how MT always does a game spotlight for like the strangest/cooliest indie games or the most trendy AAA games.

Posted Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

Console.WriteLine

Posted Dec 9, 2017
  19. so, c# is bad because, of a function? a function that's also in c++? k?

Posted Dec 9, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

No it isn't... you should learn the language before trying to correct someone who works in it...

Console::WriteLine is a member function of the Console namespace in Microsoft's .NET Library which doesn't natively function on C++. In order to run on C++ Microsoft developed an extention "C++/CLI" that gives you access to the Windows .NET utilities in C++. This means it isn't portable. The standard for C++ is in the iostream library with the method std::cout, which is vividly portable to all C++ compilers.

C# is bad because Microsoft's .NET is unnecessary and makes programming more complicated. Based on your message I assume you use Visual Studio which comes with the Microsoft C++/CLI by default.

Posted Dec 9, 2017
  21. Le Chair

Le Chair Member

I only recently got into actual programming so that's why I asked. Only done some scripting and websites.
    Python looks pretty good to learn tbh

Posted Dec 9, 2017
  22. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

That's the one that a lot of people recommend to new people.

Posted Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Calculator

The Calculator Member

Possibly because its too sharp to be in tune.
    Also trash.

Make a discord bot as a project.

Python is eh as a first language.

Posted Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  24. EXE KL

EXE KL

Python is bae. I recently learnt C# and tbh I'm not liking making projects with it. Java for life. C++ is dead to me but better than C#. How did this thread become about programming languages again? Sorry @becky
    Err'one should apologise for getting triggered and shit posting in this beautifully written thread. You coding nerdz.

To keep this post relevant, I'm gonna say the advanced ai is an exaggeration and does trigger me. ALOT

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Posted Dec 10, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Cat

Cat Member

its called java
    Map<String, Integer> map = new Map(); is a key and value 'map' which can be helpful when transferring values across classes
    String "garage" would be the 'name' of location, and would just increment an int value to "garage" after the player is found in that location

@Drewerth it would be better if you used something like getPlayerLocation() followed by == LOCATION_GARAGE so you don't need to create multiple functions just to determine the location of the player, I would say enums is better in this case when using java.

Posted Dec 12, 2017
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.