Help?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JoeyCS, Oct 23, 2017.

1. JoeyCS

JoeyCS Recruit

So i was wondering what makes a powerful computer and fast as in specs and stuff like that i dont know much about computers as in what are the best brands and which are good and not

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  2. GrimReaper

GrimReaper The Eldest Child Member

You will want a decent processor and a newer GPU. That’s pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  3. M4rshmell0

M4rshmell0 Recruit

Just get yourself a GPU and proccessor that fits your pc.
    Do not buy to expensive shit, because i won't help if you got shitty stuff mixed with mlg stuff.
    Just search on youtube for vids, and try Tweakers for the best prices.
    That's all i can say

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  4. Drewerth

Drewerth Member

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY

Posted Oct 23, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. GrimReaper

GrimReaper The Eldest Child Member

STOP YELLING INDOORS!

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  6. Alucard

Alucard Junior

Everything bottles down to your budget, at the end of the day. Spend more, get more. Buy reputable brands (MSI, EVGA, Asus). Do your research before you buy parts and read reviews carefully. Each component has different uses and functions.

Gaming? You'll generally want to beef up on processing power and the GPU.

Video editing? Processing power and hard drive speeds play in there.

Programming? Memory and processing power.

Posted Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Twist

Twist Junior

You want a good CPU, and a good graphics card, and Ram those are the most important items

Posted Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Peace

Peace Junior

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  9. Gower

Gower wise men eat ice cream - albert einstein Junior

No budget, no help

Posted Oct 23, 2017
  10. Randy

Randy ランシド Recruit

Fuck MSI

Posted Oct 23, 2017
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 2
  11. Posted Oct 23, 2017
  12. wAFFLES

wAFFLES Member

You phrased that question in a very weird way but I'm guessing you want to know what each component of a computer is and what has the most impact on performance. Everyone's already given good answers, you need to have a budget in mind and you need to know what you'll be using the computer for. When building a gaming PC, you prioritize spending money on the GPU and CPU, for example. If you have a budget of 1000 dollars for a gaming PC, you expect to spend around 200 to 300 dollars on a GPU alone, roughly speaking. From there, you might spend 200 dollars on a CPU, 100 dollars for RAM, 100 dollars on a motherboard, 50 dollars on a case, 75 dollars on a power supply, and the rest on hard drives and storage. You spend even less if you also need to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and some kind of audio.

Posted Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. JoeyCS

JoeyCS Recruit

This is what i needed thanks and my budget is around 1000$,1100$

Posted Oct 25, 2017
  14. Scamp

Scamp Member

@Swagijuana Is the best with this :D

What are your current computer specs? Let us know because we could probably save you some money if you wanna upgrade.

Posted Oct 25, 2017
  15. JoeyCS

JoeyCS Recruit

My pc broke so im looking for an upgrade

Posted Oct 25, 2017
  16. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Give me a little bit of time and I'll try to come up with a $1000 build and elaborate on some of the components. Currently at work but I'll be slacking a bit because today's my birthday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so I'll find some time here soon

Posted Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Now this was put together with the idea that all your peripherals still work and you would like to reuse them. As well, I have no idea if you plan on purchasing Windows or if you rather pirate Windows or if you'll be using Linux. It'll be ~$100 and a morality difference depending on which you route you'd like to take. If you want the price of Windows and peripherals included I can adjust the build for you, but just note that this build is already $1002 ($1066 before rebates) so I'd have to cut some costs in some other places in the build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sXzrZ8

CPU: Typically with gaming builds, you want a processor that won't bottleneck your GPU. Your GPU can only process as fast as your CPU can. The Intel i5-8400 shouldn't ever bottleneck the chosen GPU in any games including CPU intensive ones such as ARMA 3. As well, for being a very new processor, it doesn't have a bad price tag. It has a slightly better single-core performance over the previous generation's i5-7500, but the 8400 also has 2 more cores/threads and only costs ~$10 more. The reason for not choosing the AMD R5 1600 is due to the fact you'll rarely see games/benchmarks utilize more than 6 threads, and what benchmarks have shown is that even in those instances the R5 1600 beats the i5-8400 by very little, where as in any other situation the i5-8400 will blow the R5 1600 away.

CPU Cooler. You don't really need an aftermarket cooler. Yes, the stock ones can be noisy and not be the best, but the processor will never reach dangerous temperatures on a stock cooler. If you ever really need an aftermarket cooler, then I'd pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for $20.

Motherboard: Simply the least expensive motherboard that's compatible with your CPU lol. ASRock is a fairly well established motherboard company and their Pro boards typically don't have issues so you shouldn't have to worry about reliability.

RAM: 8GB is typically the least memory you want in a gaming system, but you also might not ever need more depending on what you plan on doing with this PC. If every want to get into video editing, 3D modeling/animation, or any kind of development then 8GB more would be recommended. I've had times where I've played games with Chrome, TS, OBS, Spotify, and Photoshop open in the background all at once and haven't maxed out on memory. I wouldn't worry much about the frequency of the memory that much either because memory is already expensive due a global flash storage shortage and memory with faster frequencies give very minimal gains.

Storage: Almost any modern build should have an HDD+SSD combo. HDDs have a much lower price/GB but SSDs also have insanely better performance. You'll want to install your OS on the SSD. It's up to you what other programs you'll want on your SSD such as more frequently played games or frequently used development applications. Everything else like photos, videos, and documents will go on your HDD as they typically don't take long to load. If you want more SSD space and less HDD space or vice-versa I can adjust that in the part list.

GPU: The GTX 1070 is pretty much the best GPU you can afford without cheaping out on everything else in the build. You could find another $100 for a GTX 1080 by reducing the quality of the PSU (which is explained further down), getting a slower SSD, or using the previous generation Intel platform, but you probably don't want to risk a PSU malfunctioning and destroying your entire build or getting a really cheap SSD as they're not as fast as something like an Intel 535 SSD.

Case: It's inexpensive with the rebate and sale which makes it great for a $35 ($75 original price) case and it has some nice modularity to it as you can rearrange the motherboard tray to another position. As well, erverything fits in it lol

PSU: 550W is overkill, but it gives you some headroom if you ever want to add more such as memory and storage to this build. A minimum for this build in its current state would be 400W, As well, you might be able to reuse it in a later build as it is commonly considered a Tier 1 PSU meaning that it has top-of-the-line construction and reliability,

Any more questions just let me know :)

Edit: I haven't been into hardware as much as I once was and @Datsun probably knows more than I do so I'm tagging him here if he'd like to contribute at all

Posted Oct 25, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. kaZZ

kaZZ Junior

Posted Oct 25, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. JoeyCS

JoeyCS Recruit

Now i will like to join the media team and i wanna have as much ram as possible for that so will 8 be the minimum?

Posted Oct 25, 2017
  20. Alucard

Alucard Junior

If you’re looking to do video editing, 16GB is a good amount. If you want to get into after effects, double it up. But that starts getting pricey. 8GB is sort of the standard minimum for regular use these days and gaming.

Posted Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1