Internet Issues.

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Infinite, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So my router a couple months ago stopped working and now my dad bought some 20$ linksys router. Time to time i would disconnect and it really aggrivates me, It's only me getting the issue, i've tried wireless and ethnet to the router and i still get the same issue. Any help please?

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  2. So you get randomly disconnected from your router? Would it just be a very short disconnection, or something that lasts for more like 5-20 minutes?

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  3. A short disconnect

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  4. Golden

Golden

I got this a lot when too many people would use the internet at one time when I had Comcast. Try playing a non-online game while everyone else sleeps in your house to see if that's the problem.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  5. Don't have the time for that.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  6. I need to get this fixed quick x_x

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  7. It could be just your Router can't handle that much bandwidth at one time. Internet gets slow and drops if too much data is being transferred too quickly. That's why you pay more for a different router. That and range. It also could be the DHCP renewing on your router. You can change the renewal time through your Router config to see if that's the problem. Go to your browser and type in "192.168.1.1".

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  8. Don't know how.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  9. Golden

Golden

... So, you want to solve a problem, but you don't make any effort whatsoever to do so? He just said the same thing I did, but more knowledgeably and with information on how to fix it, but you dismiss it immediately because you don't know how.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  10. I've been looking at this damn router information thing and i'm at a complete lost.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  11. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

This happened on my last router. Is it a 802.11? if so, is it a b/g/n combo? My last router was a 802.11 b/g and the Xbox360 Slim WLAN adapter doesn't work with 802.11 b so I had to set it to 802.11 g only. And my router would disconnect periodically if set to 802.11 g. My network is perfectly fine now with 802.11 b/g/n combo. You may need a new router. And you should check the compatibility of the router to see if any devices are interfering.

Posted Feb 5, 2013
  12. If you're asking about what router it is , it's a WRT120N

Posted Feb 6, 2013
  13. If you're asking about what router it is , it's a WRT120N

Posted Feb 6, 2013
  14. Posted Feb 6, 2013
  15. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

I was looking at the specs of your router, and I see a possible problem. It is a 802.11 b/g/draft n router. Not 802.11 b/g/n. Meaning it is not certified for the 802.11 n connection which many new devices use. So if you have devices connecting to the router using 802.11 n, it could be considered a defective router for your setup.

And if your computer disconnects frequently, try using the network troubleshooter. I've had past errors from one of my routers for being defective and not allowing access through the gateway and the DHCP not assigning and IP address to devices.

The best thing to do is keep browsing google for possibilities. There is problems with every router. I wouldn't consider calling tech support either. There could be a hundred things wrong that they can't fix.

And if you haven't understood what 802.11 is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 . Sorry for being confusing if I was. I realize the terminology can be quite confusing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Posted Feb 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.