Game Spotlight: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Hydra, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hydra

Hydra Advisor

header PG.png
    Artist: @nami | Writers: @nami @Ritz | Editors: @Qadassa @nami

RELEASE DETAILS
    Ninja Theory began as the small company Just Add Monsters back in March of 2000. But back then, it was all about their Xbox game Kung Fu Chaos. Now, unfortunately their backing developing company might have shut down in 2005 and almost made them become completely defunct. However, that’s where the story of Ninja Theory really begins. They hooked up with Sony Computer Entertainment to create and develop their second game Heavenly Sword which came out for the PlayStation 3 in 2007.

Then Ninja Theory decided to step into the world of both console and PC gaming. While their game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, published by Namco Bandai Games, might have started out just for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2010, they developed a complete edition with all the extra content for Windows in 2013. Then they developed Capcom’s reboot DmC: Devil May Cry in 2013.

But now they’re bringing forth a new type of action game. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is a real-time graphical adventure, hack-n-slash game based on Celtic and Norse mythology. This is the first game Ninja Theory will be both the developer and the publisher for. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice was first announced in 2014 and they have been hard at work ever since.

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is set to release August 8th, 2017 on Windows and PlayStation 4 for $29.99.

WHAT THE FUCK IS REAL-TIME CINEMATICS?
    Real-time graphics are a completely different style and brings a whole new playing experience. This is where the game and graphics are rendered and produced as someone acts them out. In fact, Ninja Theory won the Siggraph Award for Best Real-Time Graphics & Interactivity in 2016 for what they call Realtime Cinematography. They completely shot, edited, and rendered a whole scene for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice in front of a live audience in a short amount of time. In the case that you might want to watch their Dev Diary video about their Realtime Cinematography, you can check it out here.

gameplay PG.png

GAMEPLAY
    Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is one of those single-player action adventures that will pull you in and never really let you escape. The whole purpose is to be a fully-interactive game for the players so that they get drawn into the story. I mean, technically it’s taking you on a journey into hell but does that actually matter?

Now, Ninja Theory uses three key ideas to define the games they make: ninja-class combat, strong character stories, and a unique art vision. And in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, they decided to take it to a completely new level. Their usage of Realtime Cinematography and real-time graphics definitely give the animation of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice a completely different feel. It’s more so to draw the players in so they feel as if the action and gameplay are happening as they move forward through the story.

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is definitely a hack-n-slash adventure that takes you into the depths of hell. It’s a bit similar but not quite like the gameplay style found in the Dark Souls and The Witcher franchises. But they definitely wanted to give it their own style.

NINJA STYLE COMBAT
    It’s not all about learning combat combos or upgrading skill trees. It’s all about making the combat directly in your face. Ninja Theory decided to take on a more intuitive, practical fighting style and make it less directional combat. So as the player, you’re going to have to actually think about the moves and actions you make.

Now you’re going to come across enemies...a lot of them actually. I mean you’re kind of going into hell.

In order to make the fights real, Ninja Theory brought in both a stunt actor and a Martial Arts stuntwoman to assist with capturing the necessary fight scenes. These two stunt performers spent two days acting out all the different types of fighting and combat styles you’ll experience as you play the character of Senua.

STRONG CHARACTER STORIES
    Now this is where the creation of Hellblade: Senua’s Spotlight really gets interesting. In order to make Senua’s mental state seem extremely real, Ninja Theory worked alongside a team of those who have experienced psychosis and a neurologist in order to get the truth. This way, they’re able to provide a deep look into her mind and make her actions/movements seem true.

BUT WHO IS SENUA?
    senua PG.png
    Senua is a Celtic warrior deep in the Viking homeland, traveling alone on her vision quest to find her lost love. But she isn’t just a regular Celtic warrior and her love isn’t just lost.

WHY DO I HEAR VOICES?
    Although strong on the outside, she is crumbling on the inside. Following the traumatic experience of his death, Senua is trapped deep within anxiety, depression, delusions, and hallucinations. This severe mental illness, the “cancer of the mind,” causes her to hear voice manifestations within her mind. These voices come forth from the dark, created by the trauma to forever haunt her. Tortured by these voices, Senua goes off on a journey to try and piece herself together. These psychotic apparitions create a personal journey to travel through hell, both in her mind and her reality.

WHAT DO THESE VOICES DO?
    In this waking nightmare for Senua, the parasite within her eats away at her mind and makes all the nightmares come alive. She has to do her best to search for control and find a way to pull through the distorted reality they create. Senua’s manifestations are so destructive to her that they’re able to control and force her into making decisions even if she doesn’t want to.

WHY IS SHE CARRYING A CREEPY BLOODY BAG?
    Now, Senua is forced to constantly relive the pain of losing her love by the torture of these voices. But they aren’t the only reminders. In order to bring her love back from the depths of this hell, Senua must carry around his decapitated head.

lost love PG.png
    “Do you still hear his screams?”

A HEAD? WHY IS IT HIS HEAD?
    Because in the head of his corpse remains the last living seed of his soul. And in order to save him, she has to embark on this journey, haunted by his death.

These voices, they want to control her but she is the one that needs to control them. It is up to Senua to be strong enough to live, both for her love and for herself.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Minimum Requirements

Processor: Intel i5 3570K / AMD FX-8350
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: GTX 770 with 2GB VRAM / Radeon R9 280X 3GB
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 30GB available space.
    Note: Minimum spec screen resolution: 1280×720

Trailer

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Posted Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Beast

Beast Member

wow

Posted Aug 1, 2017
  3. CHERRY BOMB

CHERRY BOMB ✿ TRON CAT ✿ Junior

KOOL

Posted Aug 1, 2017
  4. Thresh Princess

Thresh Princess Junior

Posted Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hydra

Hydra Advisor

BELLA?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted Aug 1, 2017
  6. Fusion

Fusion dank memer Junior

I have no money

Posted Aug 1, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thresh Princess

Thresh Princess Junior

[​IMG]

TIS I

Posted Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ritz

Ritz Writer for Media Team | Trading with @Beefee Junior

This is probably one of the coolest games I've been able to write about. I recommend everyone to download/buy this ASAP.

Posted Aug 1, 2017
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 2
  9. Tempus

Tempus Member

... crackerjack?

Posted Aug 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. OGVibes

OGVibes Recruit

ok, but why did nami post this through Hydra's account?

Posted Aug 2, 2017
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 4
  11. Thresh Princess

Thresh Princess Junior

[​IMG]

SUP

Posted Aug 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. nami

nami this is my last mistake. Advisor

w a t

Posted Aug 2, 2017
  13. Voices

Voices moms spaghettios Junior

uhhh i guess i left my mic on...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Posted Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • No Habla Ingles? No Habla Ingles? x 1
  14. KorvaMeister

KorvaMeister Recruit

Oh, it's Dante's Inferno, Viking Edition.

Posted Aug 3, 2017
  15. Wiggly

Wiggly Recruit

That's some beefy system requirements. Those are the specs of my old gaming rig I retired about a half a year ago.

Posted Aug 12, 2017
  16. This is a really good game tbh!
    I have around 4 hours currently on it and I'll honestly say its really well made. Going through the game, at points you actually feel immersed into the game and you really feel like Senua is losing her mind at points. I'm only about half way through but even from that, I can tell the game is extremely promising. And with it boasting only $30.00, it definitely offers quality from an AAA game at half the price.

I recommend the pick up for sure! (But the game is a lil spooky tho so if u spooky easily it no bueno). Also its got some killer ASMR vibes the entire game if any of you guys like that.

Posted Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Follow-up post!!!

Finished the game last night and let me tell you that game was a roller coaster of emotions. There were a lot of times that definitely creeped me the fuck out and a lot of times that actually made me feel like I was in Senua's shoes and actually dealing with her issues.

The game overall is a great display of Psychosis, Anxiety, and Depression. Overall going through the game, you really do feel an incredible amount of character development and progression and it really does feel like a game where Senua isn't just a stagnant character with no dynamic character flow.

I won't spoil the ending cause the ending is really nice. But there were certain parts like during the fire escape when going to Surt that was annoying as shit and sort of a cop out on deaths. But one of the strangest parts is how much the permadeath really doesn't matter all that much. Dying throughout the game really didn't change all that much and it was a bit uncanny how much of a big deal they made it out to be. And the hidden cutscene at the end from hitting all the keystones with Druth actually really is a huge eye opener where you find out he's a liar and a coward instead of a hero like he's been telling himself to be. Don't worry, that isn't the end and that's not even a spoiler considering it has nothing to do with the actual game. The ACTUAL ending is way more cool.

Overall, I'd say the game is a 7.5-8/10
    It's really captivating and for its price as a AAA game, it really is worth it imo. The story is progressive and there is actual dynamic character development that really does display psychosis and depression better than virtually any other game I've ever played. Its definitely worth the pick up but the game is only good for a one time playthrough. There is absolutely 0 replayability in the game as there are no artifacts, no decisions to change the ending, and there are no collectibles which is my only qualm about the game.

If you're fine with paying $30 once to play the game, go for it. But if your objective is to play the game again after beating it, the only thing you can do to change gameplay is to raise the difficulty and nothing else. Its a good playthrough once, but I definitely won't be playing it again. 3spooky5me

Posted Aug 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1