Thinking of switching to a linux distro.

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by AlphaKilo, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Which one?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2013.
  1. Ubuntu

33.3%
  2. Mint

44.4%
  3. Bohdi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other - Please say in comments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am computer inept

22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well here's the dxdiag. Specificly I have:
    • A AMD E-350 double core
    • 4096mb of ram
    • Radeon 3610
    The reason I want to do this is because I have problem with speed and the computer can slow fown to 1 fps at times due to 100% ussage on ram and cpu and I can't have a good gaming/coding/school computer at the same time as having a fast computer so I thought I might give linux a try but which one!?!. I've decided maybe beetween bohdi, mint and ubuntu. Please give me your thoughts on which one to use I am not the biggest on linux but I know enough to narrow it down to these three. Thanks for the help!

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  2. I wouldn't.

Especially for a PC that is used for non work related (and by that I mean Network Oriented stuff) things.

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  3. Big Boss

Big Boss Member

Have fun with Linux, it's not good.

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  4. Well I don't do much gaming and I also want it for some shifty reasons.

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  5. Well it isnt bad....it just sucks for gaming....theres no need to waste your time getting it, windows is great well windows 7 anyway..just dont waste your time

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  6. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

Linux Mint! You can see in my signature. I play TF2 on Linux Mint.

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  7. Whats Linux mint? Is it any good?

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  8. Linux Mint is a popular Linux distro that is pretty decent. It's for users that have advanced beyond the ease of Ubuntu. It's a bit lighter on system resources than Ubuntu is because it comes with core functionality and a cleaner interface.

Posted Jan 24, 2013
  9. as soon as steam gets out of beta i'll think about getting a Linux distro, most likely ubuntu (i find it the most user friendly)

Posted Jan 25, 2013
  10. I run ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop (sony vaio, dual core, 4gb ram) and its great. It comes preinstalled with all the drivers you need and its great for browsing or youtube (don't expect much gaming on linux). The best part is its free and getting a virus on linux is almost impossible. Ubuntu is the easiest to use along with mint. And finally linux is great because it doesn't slow down over time like windows.

Posted Jan 28, 2013
  11. If you like Linux, then the only thing I would suggest would be a Virtual environment for booting, or dual booting. Never replace Windows or Mac OS as those will be your "goto" for gaming. A nice virtual machine software would be VMWare.

Posted Jan 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.