Computer issues

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by rileyray1, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I have recently developed a problem when playing TF2. After some time of playing (about 10 mins) the game will start acting slow for about a 2 minute period (almost like the frame rate is dropping). I look at the leader boards and it says my ping is fine, but when I opened up the control panel on my desktop, it says the CPU usage jumped up to 80-100%. After about 2 minutes this problem goes away, but comes back after another 10 or so minutes. Is my computer just outdated, or do you guys have suggestions?

P.S.: I ran a virus scan and came up with nothing

Posted Dec 29, 2012
  2. Run task manager and see what starts eating your RAM when your fps drops.

Posted Dec 29, 2012
  3. Big Boss

Big Boss Member

Yeah go to Processes under task manager and see what program is using the most memory that isn't TF2.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  4. It seems that a program called explorer.exe is what is eating up the RAM, but when I tried to close it, it kind of killed the computer for a second and I had to restart it.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  5. Haha Explorer.exe is basically what makes Windows look pretty. Don't close that, and if you do close it, you can always bring it back by going to the Applications tab in the Task Manager and click New Task... in the bottom right hand corner. Type explorer.exe in the box that comes up and wait a bit. It should come back. I guess you could close it for TF2, but re-open it when you stop playing. Another thing that might help is stopping unnecessary processes by using GameBooster.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  6. Personally, it just sounds to me like your CPU is dying/outdated.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  7. Dang :/

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  8. Well I am downloading gamebooster to see if that will work. Worst come to worst, it will do nothing, and I can just unisnstal it.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  9. Well, my computer is around 5 years old, but about a year ago we got a new hard drive.

Here are the basic statistics about the computer:

0101 - Operating System : Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120824-0336)
    0102 - Language : English (Regional Setting: English)
    0103 - BIOS : oC)Phoenix - AwardBIOSTeDell System v6.00PG
    0104 - Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    0105 - Memory : 3070MB RAM
    0107 - Page File : 2338MB used, 4021MB available
    0108 - Windows Dir : C:\Windows
    0109 - DirectX Version : DirectX 11
    0110 - DX Setup Parameters : Not found
    0114 - DxDiag Version : 7.00.6002.18107

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Posted Dec 31, 2012
  10. Well game booster didn't do the trick :(

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  11. Tenshi

Tenshi

VISTA KILL IT WITH FIRE. I do not like vista. just shut down all unnecessary processes and it should boost your fps a bit.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  12. It wouldn't have anything to do with your specs or your computer for that matter. A malfunction in a piece of hardware wouldn't make a program start using more RAM out of nowhere. The OS could be corrupt, or there could be a virus. When's the last time you scanned? Other than a virus, your specs check out fine, so I don't think your computer is dying.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  13. Hey buddy! I have Vista! Don't hate, destroy! I hate it with a passion. It's what I like to call the beta version of Windows 7 that should've never been released.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  14. Well, with that gamebooster I think I see the root of the problem may be an increase in video card temperature. When Tf2 is running, the temperature can get up to 110 C. I think that a fan or opening the computer up may help

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  15. 110C You said?! That's 10C above boiling temp of water...(212 F). That's not good AT ALL. Normal temps are at max like 70C, and with good cooling, you high end GPUs stay around 40-55 C when gaming. 110C isn't good, at all. You need to fix your cooling set up or your graphics card is gonna overheat.

Posted Dec 31, 2012
  16. Ya..... the p.c. is getting old
    I think I will open up the case of the p.c. to look and see if the cooling system is broken. Hopefully giving it some open air may cool it a little as well

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Posted Jan 1, 2013
  17. And after playing the binding of isaac it is now at 85 C

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  18. Try taking explorer.exe out of the prefetch folder.

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  19. TF2 is a very CPU intensive game. Replacing/upgrading your CPU would be a good idea. In fact, I would definitely start saving up to just buy a completely new computer if I was you.
    Also, is this a laptop or a desktop?

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  20. Desktop

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  21. This is good, it means that you could easily just replace your CPU. However, I don't know if that would be a good idea, because that's a very outdated CPU.
    Yeah. :\ IDK, if you have the money I would DEFINITELY just build a new comp.

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  22. I think my video card is just out of date I am going to look for a new one

Anyone got any suggestions for a video card for a Dell inspron 351 desktop?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Posted Jan 1, 2013
  23. Don't do that. If you have a really old computer and you think getting a new GPU will solve the problem, you're sadly mistaken. If you were to just buy a nicer GPU, then your ancient processor/motherboard will bottleneck your GPU. In other words, because your GPU would be more modern, it will have a greater potential, but that potential can not be fully used because your processor/motherboard is not modern and would not have the capability of releasing your GPU's full potential. You would have to get a new GPU, processor, and motherboard(if it's too old) to make an impact.

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  24. Exactly how hold would you say is too old?

Posted Jan 1, 2013
  25. Nothings too old in terms of years. If you have a nVidia graphics card, and you have it for 5 years, but it still works well and is still standard for gaming, then it's not really "old". It depends how far things have come from the time you bought your components.

Posted Jan 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.