Upgrade

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by xd4ng3r0u5x, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright, so I'm building a new computer when taxes come in, which should be in a few months. My last upgrade, I bought 32-bit windows 7, which was a huge upgrade because I was running '95 xD. Should I spend the money for a 64-bit version? I know 32 bit wont recognize more than about 4 gig of RAM, which is all you really need. Yet, I believe I will have 8 gigs when I upgrade. With 32-bit, it'll let me use the RAM, just it wont recognize all of it.

Is it worth the money to buy the 64-bit?

Posted Jan 2, 2014
  2. With more and more support for 64 bit computing it would not be wise to not install a 64 bit OS. Personally running Win 8.1 with Start 8 and Window blinds so I can customize it the way I want. Can also use Classic Shell to avoid the Metro interface that is annoying to most desktop users.

Posted Jan 2, 2014
  3. Personally I use Win 8 without anything like classic shell and I almost never encounter the Metro interface anyway.

But yes, go for the 64bit OS, I was one of the first people to use 64 bit on a daily basis, with XP (was a fantastic OS) and I never went back to 32 bit unless forced (used Vista 64 bit, 7 64 bit, and now Win 64 bit).

Also more and more games have 64 bit clients, not many yet, but the trend should continue to come.

I believe the 64 Bit is the same $ wise as a 32 Bit, but I am used to buying through the university.

Posted Jan 3, 2014
  4. Go for 64-bit. Also, make sure the CPU you're getting or have supports the x64 architecture. Worthless install a x64 OS on a x86 chipset. Also, Windows 8 is really not meant for gaming. There are bugs, some games won't work, and just weird kinks.

Posted Jan 3, 2014
  5. I've never liked windows 8, so I plan to stick with 7.

It is about the same, but I already have 32 bit, so I would be doubling the price really.

Posted Jan 4, 2014
  6. Ghost

Ghost

NEVER go to windows 8. #Windows7ForLyfe

Posted Jan 5, 2014
  7. I'm with ya there

Posted Jan 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.