Best Internet in the World!

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Scroll427, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm pretty sure this new apple router is the best router in the world. Look at this speed test!! Sorry It didn't finish it was too awesome...
    View attachment 1609 <----Click to Enlarge!

Posted Dec 28, 2013
  2. Cant see it even enlarged
    But being serious, the new Google Fiber tests are supposed to be insane.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  3. Senor

Senor

I can't wait when google fiber becomes part of our everyday life

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  4. I know. Its only available in Kansas? Correct me if im wrong.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  5. Senor

Senor

and i think also in parts of texas 2.
    Why can't it be available all over the us

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  6. Its in dev and its amazing. Alot of work needs to go into that but my question is why dont they start with major cities such as LA and NY.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  7. Senor

Senor

probably because of the monopolies other companies have like comcast

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  8. But they are...pause for effect...GOOGLE

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  9. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Because Google is based in KC. Easiest city to start.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  10. That explains it. But their next move should be somewhere with a large clientele.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  11. Senor

Senor

america

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  12. Google is based in Mountain View, CA. No where near Kansas City. Get your facts right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Posted Dec 29, 2013
  13. Ummm...what?? Google is based out of California. Mountain View to be exact. KC was selected, presumably, randomly in all the applications it received back in 2009-2010. Waiting and wishing on Google Fiber right now would be a lot like waiting and wishing on the lottery.

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  14. All Google Fiber locations are listed here: https://fiber.google.com/cities/

Posted Dec 29, 2013
  15. The reason they don't have it all over is because 1Gbps of connectivity to every single house is absolutely insane, especially a Residential network.

The implications of doing this in large cities is crazy, but we all know Google is insane, so I guess we'll see!

1. They have to buy that bandwidth. It's nearly impossible for them to make a profit from the prices that they advertise right now.
    ISPs have to buy bandwidth from other providers. In our business, the mix of providers they buy from is called a "network blend". Google Fiber actually has a pretty expensive network blend, so it's surprising to me that they offer up to 1Gbps speeds for only ~ $70 / month. So yes, this just concretes my point that Google is insane - But GOOD ON THEM for making a quality ISP that's actually bloody worth it!

2. They have to deploy multiple Fiber-based "trunk lines" lines in a city. A fiber bundle can handle approximately 10Gbps of active traffic, which I'm sure Google probably puts as many houses on "1Gbps" connections as they can.
    The way residential networks work is basically this: They oversell. They install a certain capacity to your city/town and hope to hell that everybody isn't on the Internet at the same time. Any residential ISP makes INSANE amounts of profits. The way it looks, Google is better about this than most ISPs, but the issue there still exists.

That's about all I can think of. All-in-all, good on Google for finding a way to make this, well, unbelievable feat possible. Making an ISP in the U.S. that's worth the money? Crazy.

Posted Dec 30, 2013
  16. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Then my dumbass friend told me wrong...
    [MENTION=3884]Namecheap[/MENTION], it's that same friend that I argued with over hardware where I sent you the convo lol.

Posted Dec 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.