SteamOS Discussion/help

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Dublock, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteamOS is upon us!

Introduction

What is Steam OS?

It is Valve's operating system (so think Windows, OSX, etc) that is designed for games and for living room play. It is there version of a console.

The OS is based on Debian, a version of Linux which means a lot of things can already be done as various apps and such can be slightly modified for Steam OS.

Some features that makes Steam OS stand out is it will be designed for games, so it will be able to get better performance from hardware then your standard Windows installation. Also you will be able to stream games from a Windows computer. What that means is that say you want to play Civilization 5 (Civ 5) in your living room. Normally Civ 5 isn't on Linux, therefore Steam OS, you can start the game on your windows machine in your study room and be able to play it on your Steam machine while sitting on your coach.

Beta

The Beta for the OS is out now and because of it being a beta, there will be bugs and missing features (like streaming), and it may involve a lot of work to use.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1e4dae83371ba704d5d89e1828068ef0c4151e32&dn=SteamOSInstaller.zip&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce
    permalinksourceparentreportsave-RESgive goldreply

Warning:
    *Do NOT install if you are not competent with a computer!

*This will erase your HDD. There are some .ISOs that claim to avoid this, I have 0 experience in using those .ISOs

*No ATI support!

*Requires UEFI There is a workaround From Reddit that worked for me and others

*Only sound support is over HDMI, no speaker or headset support!

The Steam Installer is around 950 MB and the System Restore is around 2 gigs.

A few of us have it installed and I am willing to provide what support I can.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Posted Dec 13, 2013
  2. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

I don't understand why you can't just allocate another partition and load the OS up on that. An installer like Wubi would've been perfect for this. Guess I'll have to buy a separate SSD when the future computer building comes around. Then only NVIDIA graphics support. There goes at least half of your possible beta testers. Not smart Valve. Not smart.

Posted Dec 13, 2013
  3. This is just beta. I am positive that ATI will be supported, multiple OSes on the same HDD, and such will be fine.

Posted Dec 13, 2013
  4. I won't even try this until it's official release. I can't risk anything happening to my computer.
    Can't wait though, this could change gaming by a lot, with less system load and such!

Posted Dec 13, 2013
  5. Sagar

Sagar

it's a beta and people are already complaining, oh well

Posted Dec 13, 2013
  6. Alright, so I spent roughly 7 hours working on it.

I gotten it to install, and such but when I run the post_logon.sh I get (large image) http://i.imgur.com/2w8hSsN.jpg and I can't figure out how to deal with that. something involving unmounting of a drive. Oh well.

Posted Dec 14, 2013
  7. Cpt. Hopi

Cpt. Hopi Recruit

I don't want to wipe my HDD. I'll just wait until it comes out publicly. I wish I won a steam machine though :(

Posted Dec 14, 2013
  8. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

You dun goofed! I would never beta test an OS. I only would if SteamOS supported ARM architecture for the Raspberry Pi I'm getting for christmas, but still pointless cuz i couldnt play games xP

Posted Dec 14, 2013
  9. I beta tested Vista, 7, and 8 so messing with beta OSes are not new to me, but Linux is still pretty new and have used this as a reason to learn more about the OS as I struggle to get it to work. Sure that was more hours then I wanted, but at least they were more productive then the alternative like playing TF2 all day :p

Posted Dec 14, 2013
  10. Sagar

Sagar

did you get it to work? because i just let it be and it worked, just be patient and read

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  11. Nope, still have not gotten it to work yet. Although I have not touched it since that post. I found an .ISO with an UEFI workaround on Reddit that I am downloading and see if that will work. I am thinking that its my MOBO that is causing the conflict and is not supported for whatever reason. Which means I won't be able to test it until I move back in my parents (before I move to Pittsburgh in Jan), but since I have free time I will continue to work on it some. I am not good at leaving things alone :p

Yes I gave it plenty of time to run what it needs to run at every step, partly how I spent 7 hours doing it.

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  12. I don't exactly want to really fuck up my computer (again?), I'll wait a bit 'til this comes out of beta
    (Plus I don't have an nVidia so I can't screw with it anyway)

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  13. Alright, I am typing this on my brand new Steam OS system! My error was because I booted up with two monitors, did not expect that...at all. But easy fix at least. I am currently downloading TF2 and will report back with my personal experiences while playing on it (in pG servers!). For some reason my enter button isn't giving me lines on the web broswer in big picture mode. Big picture mode isn't that good for desktop setting which I am using. I do have Gnome desktop, but Steam appearently doesn't come with a broswer out of the box (so far).

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  14. Sagar

Sagar

woah, i booted up with both of my monitors, i unplugged it for some reason, i'm happy i did,

about the browser, it does have it, in big picture and on the desktop, check it out on the top left corner

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  15. I found it, poking around a bit more. Lucky that the duel monitor didn't throw you in a loop, it sure did on me lol.

Posted Dec 15, 2013
  16. The pi wouldn't really be able to play games anyway...

Posted Dec 20, 2013
  17. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

If you read my whole comment, I said that... derp.

Posted Dec 20, 2013
  18. Sorry lol! I was pretty distracted when I posted that.

Posted Dec 20, 2013
  19. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

Why would you even think this?

Posted Dec 20, 2013
  20. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

The point was that I would only ever test an OS on a cheap system. Not literally RPi.

Posted Dec 20, 2013
  21. I am testing the SteamOS on my main machine. I swap out the HDD whenever I switch (I could figure out a proper duel boot system but a Beta OS and Win 8 won't get along very well I think :p).

The main purpose of SteamOS is the games, so I feel like you need to test it on a machine that can actually fulfill its purpose, playing games on it.

Posted Dec 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.