Motherboard & Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Dr. Oshawott, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know I've asked about Graphics Cards before, but the suggestions I've gotten were way out of my price range, but that's due to my mistake of not stating my price range. Just about summing up the parts for my computer build. The only problems I have so far is finding compatible motherboards and graphics cards, also both within my price range.

Graphics Card: My price range is $100-$150. I'm looking to run most of the higher class games (ex Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, etc.) at at least 60 frames. I'm not looking to run these games at Ultra or High, just Medium or Low.

Motherboard: My price range is $60 or less with a FM2 Socket (my processor is a AMD Athlon X4 750K Processor). The graphics card I already have in mind (XFX Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition) has a 3.0x16 PCI-E Bus, but I can't find any motherboards within my price range, with the same PCI-E nor socket.

I'm sorry if my price range might be a bit low (for all I know, what I'm looking for may not even be possible), but I'm aiming for under $700-$800.

EDIT:
    Scratch out almost everything above me. I found a good Graphics Card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088PK040/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The only problem I have is still finding a motherboard. One question, is 2.0 compatible with 3.0? Haven't found a SINGLE motherboard that has 3.0, so I'm beginning to wonder about that. If 2.0 is compatible with 3.0, then that'll narrow my search by a lot. Here's my specifications for a motherboard:

-DDR3
    -3.0x16 (if there is no such thing and 2.0 is compatible, then just imagine that 3 as a 2)
    -FM2 Socket
    -Price Range is $60 or less

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Posted Nov 25, 2013
  2. I wouldn't keep investing money into amd processors and motherboards, for motherboards, stick with ASROCK for low end motherboards, they have done me well. As far as graphics cards, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get XFX for AMD cards, they may be SLIGHTY less performance, but you can overclock them to be better than other brands. XFX's quality of graphics cards is amazing, they have lifetime warrenty, and there support is great! I had an issue with my card, a rare issue, they couldn't find it, but they still sent me a new one anyway. For a motherboard, look carefully at newegg reviews, that is going to be your lifeline, if you have a few in mind, just post them here and I can take a look and let you know.

Posted Nov 29, 2013
  3. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Why are you always against AMD processors Adam? You act like they killed your best bro xP

When it comes to processors that are in the same price range, compare them. Easiest way, cpuboss.com

Now these 2 aren't really the same price range or CPU performance, but if you look at the graphics, you'll understand why I chose to compare these 2 processors http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-A10-6800K. CPUBoss is great for comparing any CPU, including mobile phone CPUs! It gives everything you need to know, just never base your decision off the total score they give. The scores they give are average total performance that are not based on your preferences. They're only based on technology and benchmarks, not your needs.

Now I suggest this to anyone building a gaming dekstop, get an AMD APU. The built in graphics are phenomenal AND can be crossfired with any graphics card! My laptop has an older A10 (not remembering model number, on a different computer) that can run Skyrim on medium @~ 25 fps. Now when you crossfire the 7770 you chose with an APU, your gaming experience will be great.

For the mobo, it's all about which features you want. There's so many brands that have mobos in the same price ranges with such similar technologies. Good think about the FM2 socket is that there's not many FM2 mobos, so you have to look through a lot less of nearly the same mobos xP. Now I'm guessing you're getting a micro ATX mobo? Only the FM2 micro ATXs are in your price range. Adam mentioned ASRock, which if you want the most possible features, ASRock has the FM2 mobo you want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157395. PCI-E is backwards compatible so any PCI-E 3.0 card will work in a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

Posted Nov 29, 2013
  4. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bgR5

Seems like you want a build like this? $808, but it can be changed of course. The excessive cooling is for overclocking the CPU, GPUs, and RAM. Which you may not even overclock at all, so you could easily get rid of those 3 fans and not such a heavy piece of liquid cooling. I have a fear of overheating xP

Posted Nov 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.