What am I doing?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Mitt Rominator, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was thinking of getting a new computer within the next year or so, and i was also thinking of trying to build it, instead of buying one, as i could save a lot of money. Just from googling "computer building" and things like that, I am greeted by a wave of things i don't understand, and is mostly foreign to me. Can someone explain to me the essentials, like what i need? I have a basic knowledge (Motherboards, don't let your graphics card melt) but other than that, I'm clueless. As for how powerful i'd want my computer to be, I know that something that could run BF4 at 45 frames would be expensive as dicks, but I'm aiming for something that could run a game like X-Com at upper settings, and run TF2 and CS very well. I'm in the price range of around 800$-1100$. I really don't know if thats not enough, or more than i need. Help?

Posted Nov 5, 2013
  2. Maddog

Maddog

Motherboard - Heart of the computer.
    CPU - Brain of the computer.
    RAM - Muscles of the computer.
    Graphics Card - Eyes of the Computer.
    Mouse/Keyboard - Arms/Legs of the Computer.
    Sound Card - Ears of the Computer.
    Harddrive - The... fat? I don't know a good one for this. STORAGE ;D
    Case - The skin and bones?
    PSU - Food and Drink to power the computer.
    Screen/Display = Door? I dono... pushing it now.

Either way, you need a

Case - To store the components so they don't just sit there on your desk.

Mobo to connect all the components (in layman's terms, does a lot lot more)

CPU (Central Processing Unit) to do all the main processing and computer tasks.

RAM (Random Access Memory) is used by programs to complete tasks, it shares out load (depending on how it's programmed) to allow for faster rendering (Say for video editing)

GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is used to display visuals, render models and shaders and a hell of a lot more. The more powerful the graphics card, the better the visuals / intensity of the game you can handle.

PSU (Power Supply Unit) is used to connect to the mains, and dispense power when needed to the components in your computer. Make sure you get a PSU that can support ALL components, AND a bit more to compensate for fluctuations.

Mouse / Keyboard / Sound / Screen are self explanatory.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Posted Nov 6, 2013
  3. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Pretty much everything Maddog said he stated all the required parts (besides sound card, it isn't really required, most mobos come with onboard sound). Then also think about the OS you will wish to run (I think of it as the outside appearance), any other peripherals i.e. a wireless adapter, USB hubs, speakers.

Posted Nov 6, 2013
  4. Awesome explanation. Also, what about fans and stuff to cool it?

Posted Nov 7, 2013
  5. Maddog

Maddog

Fans >> The immune system of the Body!

Generally, most cases come with fans, but sometimes you need a little extra "umph" for your buck!

Fans:

General Stock Cooler Fan
    These are what most every day computers have, a couple fans inside to cool the machine (not meant for custom built rigs)

Radiator -- (Low Budget Builds) Not Overclocked
    A Radiator coupled onto a CPU with fans to send air directly along the pipes, and cool the CPU more efficiently then a stock build.
    This is what most Custom Builds have to cool dat CPU

Let there be no mistake, there are TWO types of water cooling:

Closed Loop Water Cooling -- (Medium Budget Builds) Small Overclock
    This is still a fan cooler by spec, but it uses the fans on the outside of the case to pull cold air onto a pump, which sends water around (in a closed loop) attaching directly onto the CPU.
    This is a lot more efficient than a Radiator Cooler, and is generally a lot smaller.

Open Loop Water Cooling -- (High Budget Builds) Full Overclock Stable
    An open loop water cooling system which needs a tank full of special coolant to be pumped around to the main components of the machine. Needs a lot more maintenance but is generally a lot more powerful.
    This is what you see in those super rigs with the insane lighting and the insane liquid cooling. It will be the MOST efficient, but also the most dangerous if you break it.

Posted Nov 7, 2013
  6. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Not correcting anything to be mean, just to help be informative.
    Radiators are also known as heatsinks, which is what I usually refer to them as.
    It's more reasonable to say liquid cooling. Even stated by Maddog, special coolant may be used, but is not always water, such as LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen cooling).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Posted Nov 7, 2013
  7. SOOOOOOOO I'm kinda here pretending I know what all this text is, I'm guessing this is our next experiment, are we trying to create a cyborg "Motherboard - heart of computer", "CPU - brain of computer" this seems very suspicious...

Posted Nov 8, 2013
  8. Senor

Senor

Its all a conspiracy lol

Posted Nov 9, 2013
  9. Maddog

Maddog

#youdontevenknowwhatyoudontknow

Posted Nov 9, 2013
  10. Senor

Senor

^