PRISM and You! NSA Program!

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by The Calculator, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Calculator

The Calculator Member

PRISM, a program made by the NSA, has come to light. PRISM breaks your Constitutional right to have privacy and protect you from warrant-less searches. They track everything! Check your calls, email, and MUCH more! Every major service is starting to get on board with this!

But, can you protect yourself?

Look no further! In this post i will tell you some of the things that you should do!

But, BE WARNED!, not everything in this guide is good for everyone. Some of it is VERY complicated and you could end up with a broken computer.

Im going to do this by services and software categories. I will list the Prisimified things by the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation), then post alternatives!

This is a general, easy to read list.

Lets start off with the OS's!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Computer Operating Systems

Prisimified:

Windows
    Mac OS X
    Google's Chrome OS.

Alternatives:

GNU/Linux (Some recommended ones: Fedora, Debian, Linux Mint, Ubuntu) (Recommended!)
    BSD (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR AVERAGE USERS!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smartphones:

Prisimified:

iOS
    Non-Pure Versions of Android. (Most hardware manufactures ship their phones with)

Alternatives:

iOS:
    Get a better phone (Sorry! Nothing can stop Prism here!)

Android:
    Cyanogen Mod (recommended)
    Replicant

Google Play Store:
    F-Droid

Web Browsers

Prisimified:

Safari
    Google Chrome
    Microsoft's Internet Explorer. (I hope no one uses this anyways. But still not my choice.)

Alternatives:

Firefox (Recommended.)
    The Chomium Project's Chromium
    The Tor Browser (Based off Firefox)

Web Browser Addons

No specific list, just recommended plugins.

HTTPS Everywhere
    Ad-Block
    DoNotTrackMe

Web Search Engines

Prisimified:

Google
    Bing
    Yahoo! Search (Why would you even use this? But not my choice.)

Alternatives:

DuckDuckGo

These are basic things you can do to protect your privacy. There are many more however. There is not a 100% foolproof way to get fully anonymity on the internet. The steps you take however, can help protect you from the NSA!

Good luck! And happy SAFE browsing!

-The Calculator

Posted Oct 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Really helpful and informative guide. Thanks!

Posted Oct 22, 2013
  3. Senor

Senor

its not really anonymous. Your computer contacts that server where the web domain is. Government can easily see that

Posted Oct 22, 2013
  4. Sagar

Sagar

my guide to an NSA-free life

1-turn off computer

that's it, you cant do anything else other than that, and for good measure go live at the south pole or something like that so they cant track anything about you

Posted Oct 23, 2013
  5. teddi

teddi Recruit

Senor is right here, nothing is truly anonymous.

Posted Oct 23, 2013
  6. Gravious

Gravious Member

Changing your OS, browser or search engine will not change a thing to the government being able to track your web behavior.
    When you visit a website, you have a connection to another server being linked by your ISP. Your ISP is in turn connected to the 'World Wide Web' to which all other ISP and their customers are connected to.

What Prism is, is like a middle-man in the data transfer of the World Wide Web. They are easily able to intercept any message with bytes you send over the wires running below the Pacific Ocean.
    I don't know how you came up with the fact that FireFox is safer than Internet Explorer, but I can tell you it is definitely not true. It might be more user friendly and have more possibilities though.

The only possible bypass is getting yourself a decent proxy or VPN, so that all your internet traffic is being routed through a different server, and the originating computer will be harder to trace for the NSA. This will only mask your identity, not your search.

Posted Oct 23, 2013
  7. Senor

Senor

^^^^

Posted Oct 24, 2013
  8. Sagar

Sagar

true

then again why would you want to hide from them

leave proxies VPNs and whatever to those who really need it

Posted Oct 25, 2013
Thread Status: