Help! Laptop rings at bootup

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Scroll427, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So when i booted my computer up today it asked what operating system i wanted to run (I only have one and it usually doesn't ask this) and after I pressed windows 7 it made 6 beeps. This has happened before but I recently got my laptop fixed from HP so i didn't think this would happen again. I just want to know what these beeps mean. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION]

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  2. Maddog

Maddog

Beeps are a little... unspecific.

Duration? When do they happen PRECISELY?

as much info as possible please~ [MENTION=2009]scroll427[/MENTION]

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  3. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

The beeps can mean a lot of different things. Can you find your BIOS version? Or at least your PC model so we could find the BIOS version. Beep codes are based off a PC's BIOS.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  4. Its not that long it has 3 beeps then another 3 beeps like half a second later

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  5. This may be a RAM failure. Try this: take out the RAM and see if it continuously beeps. If it does, then bad RAM, if it doesn't, then you have a bad Motherboard.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  6. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Again, provide BIOS or PC model. The meaning of beeps from my BIOS could be completely different from the meaning of yours. It's impossbile to tell what your beeps are unless you provide the information needed.

Not necessarily RAM. Other beep problems could be fan failure and overheating, motherboard component failure, and other PC errors.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  7. Problem... Laptop

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  8. [MENTION=2009]scroll427[/MENTION] Laptops have RAM and motherboard.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  9. I know that but there really hard to take out

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  10. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Seriously. Why don't you provide your PC model or BIOS version. I can tell you what needs fixed if you tell me. Or consult the manual given that came with your laptop that might give information on the "beeps"(most manufacturers put the manuals online, google yours).

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  11. BIOS F.1B - 10/5/2011 (058F110000244610000620100)
    Model Hp pavilion dv6 notebook PC
    Model number A3E53UA#ABA

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  12. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Some HP PCs since 2011 have flashing light codes. If yours does, that would be helpful. Here's what I found from the HP site, they have their beep and light codes listed, just not sure which brand BIOS yours is. Search the BIOS version given and nothing comes up besides drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07107#N325

It seems as if the problem must be related to hardware. Anything dealing with the mobo, such as RAM, CPU, and the mobo itself.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  13. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Sorry that I didn't have the best response last night, I was in a rush to leave. But try your best to identify the problem using that link or contact HP support. If you don't have a warranty or don't care about it and you know the problem, just go ahead and take the laptop apart. Taking apart a laptop isn't necessarily hard, but it will take a lot of time. precision, and caution. You have to be very meticulous about everything. If you don't know what the problem is, there's a few general solutions if you can take the laptop completely apart.
    1. Take out and put the RAM back in
    2. Take out the CPU (GENTLY) and put it back in (GENTLY)
    3. Check the fan (connected to the mobo properly, nothing stopping it or slowing it, clean off the dust)
    4. Go over the mobo with a heat gun for about 30 minutes (up-down, then left-right, and don't go too slow, don't want to melt the mobo). This will hopefully mend anything broken in the mobo. Let it sit on the workbench you'd be working on for while until room temperature.
    5. Make sure every wire is connected how it should be, HDD, PSU, and optical drive.

Posted Sep 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.