PC Buying Guide for Gamers

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Namecheap, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intro:
    Okay, I do get asked this a lot, and the questions are usually "what hardware do I need?" Well, picking computer hardware is very easy. You just have to know what you're doing. (Links are US and Newegg)

Processor:
    Okay, there are two main companies that make processors: AMD and Intel. I don't hate on either, but people do hate on processors like Apple and Samsung. Personally, I like Intel better, but you can choose both. Here are some choices you can choose for each system type.
    AMD - CHEAP INTEL - CHEAP
    AMD - MIDDLE RANGE INTEL - MIDDLE RANGE
    AMD - EXPENSIVE INTEL - EXPENSIVE

Motherboard:
    Motherboards is not the most important part of the computer, but it is the part that everything connects to. Performance on motherboards is just a joke. I have some motherboards here from ITX to ATX and for both AMD to Intel.
    Intel Motherboards
    AMD Motherboards

Graphics Cards:
    Okay, this is one of the hardest parts. Now, you don't want to spend $100 on a CPU (Central Processing Unit) and then $500 on a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), this will just bottleneck the performance. I will recommend about even on each, or a $300 CPU and a $600 GPU would be perfect. Here are some AMD and nVidia Graphics Cards to choose from.
    nVidia Graphics Cards
    AMD Graphics Cards

Hard Drives:
    This is a very critical part of your computer. Some people will be doing Video Editing and need a fast hard drive, or even an Solid State Drive, I will post some common drives of different storage sizes. I will even post SSD's. (Remember, SSD's are more expensive)
    Hard Drives
    Solid State Drive

Power Supplies:
    There are many types of power supplies for builders, you have 1,000W, 750W, 500W, etc. You don't need a 1,200W Power Supply if you only have one graphics card, simple processor, and one hard drive. You need to check how much wattage each graphics card will use (the ones I have posted will have wattage for each one), for the processor, and how many hard drives. The standard build won't need more than a 550W. Here are some power supplies that you can buy for your build.
    550 Watt
    750 Watt
    850 Watt

PC Cases
    This is totally up to you, no one can choose a case for you. There is some requirements though for choosing a case. You do need to see what motherboard size (ATX, ITX, Micro ATX, etc.) you are purchasing. Also, make sure if your case comes with a power supply or not. If it does, check the wattage, if you are not happy with this, most manufacturers make a version that does not include the power supply. Make sure that you are satisfied with the the cooling in the case, and it has all of the features your motherboard has.

How to Build A Computer:
    [video=youtube;d_56kyib-Ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls[/video]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Posted Sep 11, 2013
  2. NocK

NocK

Nice :D
    actually am building a video editing/3d modeling rig for my shop at school atm but we already picked out the parts but still everyone should come to [MENTION=3884]Namecheap[/MENTION] for advice k bye

psss namecheap i will be getting my net+ in like 8 months or so :D didn't know you had yours, is the test that difficult? ive been told its a step or two above A+ and my instructors are saying it should fly by for us but just asking :D

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  3. [MENTION=2413]NocK[/MENTION] The Network + test was not that hard for me, even know I failed once. The A+ was amazingly easy.

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  4. MetalTitan

MetalTitan Member

This thread is gonna be very, very helpful as i'm building a PC over the next 5-6 months xD

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  5. Portal

Portal

This will be very useful :) Maybe I'll build a PC for my next one ^^

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  6. This is a really good guide

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  7. Request something to be added to the thread. I will try my best to add it.

Posted Sep 11, 2013
  8. teddi

teddi Recruit

If you want to find parts from all throughout the web so you can get the cheapest components go here
    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
    This site let's you compile a list of components throughout the web into a list so you can get a final price. It also saves you the trouble of having to make sure everything is compatible because it automatically sorts the sockets and such so when you find a mothermother, you can find a processor that fits with ease.

Benchmarks to see how components rank against each other
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
    You can click the other tabs to see other component benchmarks.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  9. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Good guide, but there's a few things undressed I'd like to mention.

1. Crossfire(AMD) and SLI(Nvidia), allows multiple GPUs to be connected to a single mobo for improved performance, such as SLI-ing two GTX 650s. The build I'd like is an A10 APU (a CPU with it's own graphics cores) and a HD7770. I can crossfire the 7770 with the A10 graphics cores for crazy graphics, easy any-game ultra.

2. Look at older model's of hardware also, older i7's (i.e. 2nd gen) or Athlon's are good for the price and performance (not just CPUs, just used them as an example).

3. Some of the hardware listed is just overboard on performance, a HD 7770 GPU can run a lot of games on Ultra, only costing from $80(recertified) to $120.

4. Just because high performance mobos aren't important(unless overclocking, which some mobos are designed for), be sure to check what the features of the mobos that you're considering. Some support Crossfire, SLI, improved BIOSes, improved USB speed, etc.

5. Don't worry about a 1TB hard drive, not that much is need, unless you have 20+ games. I only have about 10, so I'd go with a 500GB HDD or 256 SSD. (I recently found out about RAMDisk software by AMD, seriously Google it)

6. RAM was not addressed in this thread. I know that RAM isn't the most important for gaming, but it's still required for most PC applications. 8GB of RAM shoud be fine. My laptop has 6GB of 1333MHz, runs perfectly. I can run Medium on Skyrim without any problems. High performance RAM is overrated. Just buy cheap 1600MHz. Now if you're going to be using the AMD RAMDisk software(GOOGLE IT NAOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY), buy lots of RAM (you'll find out).

7. Cooling - if overlocking at all, even the tiniest bit, look into cooling.

Note: Many people think of me being an AMD fanboy for typically choosing AMD hardware over Intel and Nvidia, it's just I usually find the performance needed for a cheaper price. There's several reasons to choose between AMD or Intel technology. If you have the budget for an i7 extreme or GTX Titan, go for it.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  10. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Also, some amazing links for comparing hardware, check out cpuboss.com, gpuboss.com, and ssdboss,com. They're great for people not familiar with computer hardware. They even have hardware comparison's for mobile hardware, including Snapdragon, A chips, and Tegra.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  11. I said I was not done with the guide, so stop complaining.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
  12. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Um I'm guessing you directed that to me, because I was the last to post. I never was complaining, just helping the thread expand on the information of PC building.

Posted Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.