External graphics card

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Scroll427, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So today i found out i need a better graphics card to play battlefield 3. All i need is 512 gb and i would like an external one. I looked these up and i want to know which one I should buy because i'm not very smart with the insides of computers. I would like to keep it under 60 dollars which shouldn't be a problem and also I would like to know how to safety store it when im not using it. Thanks!

Posted Sep 9, 2013
  2. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Um there's not really such thing, unless you spend a lot of money. I have no idea what your PC specs are, but when someone refers to an external graphics card, its usually a PCI adapter then a separate power supply hooked up to a standard graphics card. Then when you say you need 512 mb more, the memory wont be added from the new graphics card to your new graphics ( I doubt you can SLI or Crossfire like this, but I guess you can try ). You'll be left with a 512 mb card running your graphics entirely.

Your setup will be look so cluttered, i.e. http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lucid-Thunderbolt-Graphics-.jpg

Also very expensive, add $200 then a good graphics card, like 7750 HD or GTX 640.

There's no point in doing so, might as well sell your current computer and upgrade.

Then also you said you've found external graphics cards, you're probably referring to external graphics card adapters when you google external graphics cards. They're used to get video output from a USB.

Posted Sep 9, 2013
  3. Drew

Drew

[MENTION=2291]Swagijuana[/MENTION] has the right idea... I don't think I could explain it any better other than to hysterically laugh at the idea of an external graphics card. :p

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Posted Sep 9, 2013
  4. Hey icy told me it would work. Blame him

Posted Sep 9, 2013
  5. Drew

Drew

I blame Icy..

Posted Sep 9, 2013
  6. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Posted Sep 10, 2013
Thread Status: