Need help Buying new PC.

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Altair, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Altair

Altair

Hi everyone!

I have saved a lot of money ($725 dlls) and i want a new PC.

In best buy i found this one:

LINK TO BESTBUY PAGE

do you think this is a good pc? i want it to play games with it, but not all games, just casually, like TF2, L4D2 or even skyrim.

I'm not looking for ultra settings, i can play in high or even medium.

If is not good, can you help me finding a good pc that i can afford? i don't have a credit card and don't live in the united states, but i live in the borderline with mexico, so i need to buy it were i can pick it up at store.

Thanks a lot .

Posted Sep 3, 2013
  2. Good PC? yes, absolutely.... " i want it to play games with it, but not all games, just casually, like TF2, L4D2 or even skyrim. " This PC is probably overkill for these games as it can handle them no problem on the highest of settings. However i'd say invest in it, so you dont have to upgrade in the near future.

Posted Sep 10, 2013
  3. Go look on newegg

Posted Sep 27, 2013
  4. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

I can't stress this enough, build your own desktop. It's not hard at all to build one and it's cheaper to build one yourself.

Posted Sep 27, 2013
  5. Dez

Dez

What swagijuana said. I did it with almost no electronics experience and without a guide or anything. It would be easy for u to just buy the parts and read a step by step guide on putting it together. That computers equivalent when building it would probably cost around $350-400 if you find the right parts.

Posted Sep 27, 2013
  6. Moved to tech talk

Posted Sep 27, 2013
  7. Khanzi

Khanzi

Like Swag said. Build your own desktop if you're going to even get a desktop. I can give you a 1000 reasons why. If you want I can help you pick parts.

Posted Oct 1, 2013
  8. [MENTION=2622]altair22[/MENTION],

As [MENTION=2291]Swagijuana[/MENTION] said, building your own PC can be really helpful. Though no one here really touched on why!

I'll give you an actual example I had. I'm a touch superior to a power user (like an advanced computer user) myself, but the point still remains.
    My computer's motherboard (I concluded after many, many tests) had gone to shit. I was able to replace it flawlessly (other than some cut thumbs from the ridiculous back panel protector) and cheaply. I paid the price for the board, about $100, and installed it myself. Voila. No trips, no mailing, no customer support. Just fixed.
    Since you are deciding on what you want on a per-part basis, you really understand what your computer should be capable of (if you do enough research (or any at all)). This of course isn't always the case, but the other point is extremely important! You understand what the weak parts in the computer may be AND when something goes wrong, you CAN REPLACE IT. CHEAP.

If you lack the knowledge to put your own together and all of that, which is perfectly acceptable (maybe you'll learn if you decide to do this! Just be careful and don't overextend and break things), I would tell you to greatly considering buying a computer from either CyberPower, or iBuyPower.
    These websites allow you to customize your computer from the base model you select, pretty much all the way up to as expensive as you want or can get.

The reason this is special is because it isn't like Dell or HP, they build theirs the same way a real computer tech sitting at home would, they just get manufacturer discounts for buying parts in bulk. I urge you to take a look, put the pieces together and ask around to see which parts are really worth it, if you want, and that way if your new awesome computer's motherboard explodes but leaves the rest intact, you can ACTUALLY REPLACE IT.

tl;dr Build your own if you have the proper knowledge and ability to research, otherwise buy from CyberPower or iBuyPower. TRY YOUR BEST not to get a Dell, etc, premade computer.

Posted Oct 7, 2013
  9. Altair

Altair

[MENTION=6101]Curious Corndog[/MENTION]

Thanks a lot, i am afraid of building my own pc because i don't have any knowledge about pc's, like what graphic card is good and what are GHz and things like that, you have no idea how frustrating is to not know about it.

I really liked "cyberpower" it seems kind of easy to use, so thanks a lot.

Posted Oct 7, 2013
  10. [MENTION=2622]altair22[/MENTION]

I certainly understand how frustrating it is! Even as an experienced user I still have to do research. The stats on the description barely describe how good the parts really are. Thankfully sites love to stress test and evaluate items and posts items on a point-by-point basis of overall performance.
    But, I have plenty of friends who don't know it or understand it, so I'm glad to help.
    Remember though, price isn't always better! CP and iBP both do well about that, though.

Posted Oct 7, 2013
  11. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

[MENTION=2622]altair22[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6101]Curious Corndog[/MENTION], you could make a build from CP or iBP, but just use the website to get an idea of what parts you want. They have to make a profit, so it's going to cost more than actually building it yourself. The only reason I'd buy from them is if I get enough coupons and free stuff to get that extra money back xP

As far as research goes, it's probably easier just to stick with researching gaming benchmarks, for when things such as microarchitecture aren't understood. I recently just found www.game-debate.com, a website made just for PC gaming and most of the site is dedicated to hardware. There is a Can-I-Run-It page on the site that tells you if your current build can run a certain game based off of your CPU, GPU, and RAM. The only downside to that page is I'm guessing that the developers are still gathering data because a lot of the builds checked have no concluded data, but the rest of the site is great. If you want to check a hardware's gaming performance that's not on that site i.e. GTX 650, just google "GTX 650 gaming benchmarks." For a lot of searches like that, Tom's Hardware pages will come up. The are usually great because the author's of each article tests several things and discusses the hardware i.e. from the google search.

Another think I want to make you sure of; when you're searching gaming benchmarks, you may see some benchmarks with a setting like PhysX. Many games are geared toward a certain GPU brand and their technology. I make sure that I look at benchmarks that don't test games affiliated with Nvidia or AMD. You could be looking at two cards from each brand that perform equally, but the hardware from Nvidia will perform faster on Borderlands 2 while the AMD hardware will perform faster on Crysis.

If there's any more questions, just ask! :D There's others here that have a lot of knowledge about anything computers and like sharing it!

Posted Oct 8, 2013
  12. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

This is why you should not buy from iBP or CP:
    The build I would want to build myself-http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1vzvI
    The build of same cost from iBP-http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_320/w/191149

Big difference eh? A step from the highest APU model to the lowest, a GPU downgrade, a case with not even half as much cooling capability, and a downgrade in CPU cooling.

Posted Oct 9, 2013
  13. Ghost

Ghost

Before I even though about building my own, I purchased a cyberpower. I love it and it's got the job done so far. A few things to take into account, though, are that the PSU (Power Supply) will shit the bed within the first 6 months, so you are going to almost need to upgrade there. Depending on what one you purchased/are going to purchase it runs casual games flawlessly (TF2, Gmod, ETC), I can run ARMA II pretty nicely, and games like Planetside 2 are runnable, but I get much better FPS on lower settings. I would also reccomend a Graphics card upgrade with the $700 and under range of cyberpowers. Hope I helped.

Posted Oct 9, 2013
  14. Khanzi

Khanzi

Cyber power is good but they are really restricting! Give me a price range and I can help you pick parts. You can order the parts and take it to a best buy and they will assemble it for you.

Posted Oct 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.