Upgrading a Laptop: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Terror, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terror

Terror

So I have a really bad laptop, it's a Toshiba. It has an i3 processor and not much memory. So I was wondering is it possible to upgrade my laptop? I would like to put an i5 processor in there and maybe some more memory so I can at least be able to play Battlefield 3. Because my dad doesn't think I can build a computer, to be honest I've learned quite a bit about Computers over the summer. Also, computers are expensive so if you can help me out and answer my question that'd be great. Thanks! :D

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  2. Maddog

Maddog

Everything here is wrong.

You can build a much better desktop than laptop for a lower price.

Upgrading a laptop is damn hard, and you have to know what you're doing.

If you give me a price range, and country, I can get you in contact with someone who will build you a good computer for very close to your price range.

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  3. Terror

Terror

[MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] Um, well I know they're not expensive. What I was saying is that to my parents their expensive. I can also build my own computer thank you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Posted Aug 22, 2013
  4. Maddog

Maddog

Have you built one before?

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  5. Terror

Terror

No, but I want to take a course in my school where you build one. Doubt my school has anything like that though.

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  6. Maddog

Maddog

Best way to start is to build your own, read up on how to build a system PROPERLY. And the RIGHT components. Don't assume everything works just because it's got a main name like "motherboard" etc.

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  7. Terror

Terror

Yeah I know, I've seen youtube videos, read blogs and articles. I understand what you're saying in that last sentence because most of the computer is very fragile.

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  8. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Upgrading is hard like Maddog said, sometimes impossible, all of the shit and complex parts that manufacturers put into laptops makes it hard. Upgrading a laptop is not worth it. Getting down to the bare motherboard can take hours. I do not suggest taking a laptop apart, it's just too damn easy to break. My RAM is easy to access, but the CPU is under all kinds of stuff, I'm not gettin near the CPU because the keyboard ribbon is so damn tight and I will most likely break the keyboard. If you were to upgrade to an i5, make sure that it won't overheat if it has a higher TDP. And also, just because it's manufactured by Toshiba, dosent mean it sucks xP

If you are going to build a desktop, post your budget, many of us will help. Some amazing sites for building dekstops are PCPartPicker, CPU Boss, and GPU Boss

Posted Aug 22, 2013
  9. Upgrading laptops is a possibility; it's very limited, though. For most cases, you can merely upgrade the storage and memory - so there goes that.

If I were you, I would try and save some money every month and buy the parts separately. I would never recommend buying all parts at once, simply because barely anyone has that much money. Just get the case one month, the motherboard and CPU the next one, and so on. If you have no idea what parts are good, try and look up some builds from someone like LinusTechTips/ - real nice dude, has videos that give you an in-depth view of what parts he picked, why he did so, and how to assemble them (it's a dummy guide).

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  10. Like Maddog said, upgrading a laptop is pointless. Basically, when you have a laptop, all the parts are compact and usually custom or a mobile version of the part, which makes it more complicated and more expensive. I built my own desktop for the first time by simply following the 3 part Newegg video on How to build a computer. Do a quick search on YouTube for it. Talk with your dad and try to make him understand that it's not worth upgrading a laptop. And by the way, if you build it yourself, it's a lot cheaper than buying the same computer pre-built.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  11. Terror

Terror

I know, but I didn't mean that because it was made by Toshiba it sucks, but the components they put in the laptop sucked.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  12. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

That's why you look at the specs before you buy a laptop xP

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  13. Terror

Terror

I didn't buy it, my mom did.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  14. Maddog

Maddog

And thats why you never let parents buy technology.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  15. Here is a quick and simple way to upgrade look up gaming labtops, there are some for under 1000 dollars you can run battlefield and arma 3 on high maybe ultra on some games for maybe 3-4 years

some gaming labtops can upgrade video cards so heads up to look for that

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  16. Senor

Senor

or get a kickass desktop for that price :D

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  17. either way works, hahah bue he also has a point umm go for a origin computer desktop

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  18. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] Unless your parents are I.T's

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  19. Maddog

Maddog

Unless your parents work in the I.T industry*
    Your parents will not be I.T's.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  20. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Oh no.... Why do people just not build their own. So easy to do. I just went to PCPartpicker and gathered the parts that all have the same specs as Origin's cheapest dekstop (Chronos, $1225). The part's I gathered only add up to $792, easily save $400 by building a computer yourself. Origin is screwing their customers, but hell, they do need profit, gotta pay the labor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1vxHc

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  21. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

The only laptop's that can upgrade graphics cards are usually the one's made for gaming or workstations, over $1000 and are built custom. Which is a very small percentage of laptops. Bear's as you can tell is probably not, considering is a Toshiba i3 and he's had it for a while (I'm just taking a guess that it's a 2nd gen). Otherwise, the graphics are integrated with the processor.

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  22. true, there are specific labtops i was looking at though but its watever

Posted Aug 23, 2013
  23. Maddog

Maddog

Laptops*
    They sit on your LAP

(Sorry, the whole "Labtop" thing was getting to me)

Posted Aug 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.