What should I be looking for? (Building A Computer

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Terror, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terror

Terror

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying parts in buying a new computer. So if you could give me some good proccessors, cases, graphic cards etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    ~Bear

Posted Jul 23, 2013
  2. First things first, what are you looking to do with this fancy machine of yours? What will be its' main uses?

Posted Jul 23, 2013
  3. Terror

Terror

Gaming, Internet Browsing. I would like the computer to be able to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3.

Posted Jul 23, 2013
  4. Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core 3.4GHz.
    8GB or 16GB RAM; I recommend Corsair. 8GB should do fine for you.
    ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI Z87 Motherboard. All highly trusted and reputable companies.
    Your choice on hard drive; Western Digital Caviar Black is my personal recommendation. Remember that all companies and hard drives have issues, usually issues caused by shipping.
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or 680; or a GTX 770 if you want to put down that extra money from the absolute latest. I heavily recommend EVGA graphics cards.

I recommend a bit above what you actually may need purely for the concept of Futureproofing.

Posted Jul 23, 2013
  5. Not the best graphics card. I recommend ASUS products for my computer.,

Posted Jul 23, 2013
  6. Terror

Terror

Okay. I'll take those suggestions in and do some research. Thanks. Could you give me a link to the majority of these?
    ~Bear

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Posted Jul 24, 2013
  7. A cup holder.

Posted Jul 24, 2013
  8. C00kie

C00kie

What if whatever liquid is being held in the cup that is in the cupholder spills/leaks out onto the computer, potentially damaging it?

Think things through, [MENTION=51]Root Beer[/MENTION]

Posted Jul 24, 2013
  9. Terror

Terror

why hasn't this man received a medal yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
    Posted Jul 24, 2013
  10. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Because his cup holder can't hold two liters

Posted Jul 24, 2013
  11. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Well an amazing place to pick your parts is pcpartpicker.com. Gives you performance and price for each part, and gives other builds to base your build off of or to just give ideas. And when building a computer, everything is opinionated, don't take everybody's word for what they say, you have to do a lot of research yourself.

Just gonna give some general suggestions for your usage (I'm an AMD fan, always seems to be a bit cheaper than Intel for the performance, although Intel does have the fastest technology):
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 (6-core @ 3.3GHz)
    RAM: Just get 8 Gb, nothing fancy or expensive needed
    Mobo: Honestly, it can be cheap. Recommend Asus or Gigabyte. Just be sure it supports your processor and has enough ports
    GPU: HD 7850 or 7870, half the price of GTX 680 but also half the performance. 7850 ~ 30 fps on BF3 ultra. Get the GTX if recording
    HDD: Most builds have a 1TB now. I have a 500GB on my laptop which does fine. Any brand and model, and >750GB is good
    PSU: 600W is fine, I trust Cooler-Master, just make sure to get a reliable one
    LAN or WLAN: If your mobo doesn't come with it integrated, be sure to buy a card. Most common adapters now are 802.11 N

Other Tips:
    Always be sure to have the proper cooling. Especially if overclocking your GPU or CPU. Get a reliable CPU fan, then I recommend a case with a few fans on it to make sure everything else is cooled(liquid cooling if overclocking for extended times or extensive overclocking).

Dont forget the price of a monitor in your build! You obviously need a monitor, prices will vary on size and resolution. If you have a tv in your room with HDMI ports, you can use that as a monitor also, or purchase another monitor if you'd like dual monitors(which are amazing :p).

Most people never think about the webcam. I skype all the time, or do livestreams with my webcam. Buy it if needed.

Don't really ask others on peripherals, I've always learned best to look at those yourself, everyone has a different opinion.

Keep a nice list of your parts listing each parts model, specs, retailer, and price(pcpartpicker.com lists the lowest prices of different retailers).

If you're recording games or livestreaming, try to get a GPU that already runs about 100 fps on desired recording settings. You want to have a stable recording without stutters or skips in your videos.

This isn't a tip but just something I've been interested in, Bitcoin Mining. Google it, better GPU, more money you get.

When searching for a Mobo, each BIOS has many features, buy the cheap one that still has the features you want.

And do plenty of research! Tons of information out there on parts and builds.

Posted Jul 24, 2013
  12. Terror

Terror

Thanks, I'm going to be looking into computers and such more because I'm like a novice when it comes to computers.

Posted Jul 24, 2013
  13. It is very important the case you have. Try and get a case where there a descent amount of fan ports. Helps allot so you computer will run faster and wont over heat. Also get fans who dont produce alot of noise that might get annoying and people hearing it in your mic. Try to stay away from windows 8 first off its a pain in the ass and games cant run as fast meaning your frames wont be what they should be. If you get good ram cards you need good graphic card your computer is loaded with speed but you can only play medium settings so dont try and save money to do that at the end of the line it wont pay off. hope this helps.

Posted Jul 31, 2013
  14. Maddog

Maddog

Give me a price range and I'll custom build you one.

Posted Jul 31, 2013
  15. Build it to run Arma 3

Posted Jul 31, 2013
  16. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

1. You really only need 1-2 fans on a case unless overclocking your CPU or GPU
    2. Windows 8 actually seems to run faster than 7. And Windows 8 is not bad, just people don't like it because it's different. It will take a bit getting used to, and there was a Microsoft announcement about how Win8 will be free
    3. RAM isn't too important unless running large multiple tasks. Gaming RAM is overated if you have a GPU at least 1GB of DDR5

Posted Jul 31, 2013
  17. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

Trust Maddog. You can trust him with anything XP

Posted Jul 31, 2013
  18. Maddog

Maddog

For just gaming, 4-6GB's of RAM is Fine.

Yes, you can trust me.

I use Win8 at work and Win7 Ult on my Home Dekstop. I still prefer Win7 since Win8 throws logic out of the window and makes everything hard to get to.

As for case fans, you can never have enough case fans, believe me. You say "2 fans is enough" but then Summer Heat Wave and BAMMMMM, your desktop is overhearting like a bitch (DEFINITELY not from experience)

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  19. I'm a futureproofer. Get 8GB, that's quickly becoming the new standard anyway.

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  20. Maddog

Maddog

Haha, future proofing is fine, e.g. my 16GB.

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  21. I've got 12GB because my PC originally came with 4GB and I ordered an additional 8GB a month later :p

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  22. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

My 6GB laptop can run any game fine. I can play Skyrim on medium, high at some times. Good enough to play on GMod's "Ultra" which isn't really that ultra lol

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  23. Again, my point is that 8GB is future proofing so he doesn't have to go out and buy more RAM later on.

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  24. Maddog

Maddog

RAM is cheap so it doesn't mind tbh.

Posted Aug 1, 2013
  25. Swagijuana

Swagijuana Member

I don't really think 8GB as future proofing in gaming. To future proof in gaming, you get the newest graphics card with the newest architectures. RAM isn't to relevant to gaming if you have a graphics card. Now if you're running software that requires a lot of resources and does not use your graphics card(i.e. MSVS), then more RAM becomes a relevant topic.

Posted Aug 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.