What should I be looking for to building a good PC

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Dr. Oshawott, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I plan to get some computer parts this Christmas to build my first PC. Now, I'm not looking to spend over $1,000, so don't suggest UB3R H4X0R $9,999,999 GR4PH1CZ C4RD please.

Posted Jun 16, 2013
  2. What games are you going to be playing primarily? What else will you be using the computer for? Are you near either of the two Microcenters that are in texas?

Posted Jun 16, 2013
  3. I primarily play games like Team Fortress 2, and Terraria. At times I do play Blacklight: Retribution. I only use the computer for browsing and gaming. I'm about 3-4 hours away from the nearest Microcenter in Texas, so no.

Posted Jun 16, 2013
  4. Well, if you just play tf2, and Terraria, those games are not at all heavily graphics demanding, so a pc around 750$ would be around what you would need, I don't see you needing anything more than a 7770, but heck you could get a 7850 if you wanted for a graphics card, then for cpu, i3 2120 or i5 3550/3570 depending on your budget, you should not need to overclock your cpu at all based on what you have said. For ram you wouldn't need more than 8 gb and buy g.skill ram and make sure it is 1.5v, because anything past that means it is being overclocked which you don't want. As for speed 1600mhz if good enough for you, case, make sure it is something that has cable routing behind the motherboard. Then for hard drive, if you need just 500gb of space, a WD Caviar Blue is a great drive to have, as I have it for my 2nd drive. For psu, anything Corsair and you really can't go wrong, a tx650 is much more power than you need but leaves you room to grow. For a motherboard, asrock pro4/mvp should be a great motherboard for you as I have the same one. Your stock cooler SHOULD be fine, but if you have an extra 20-30 bucks a Cooler Master Hyper tx3 or evo 212 would be a good fit. A cheap 20$ optical drive is fine as I picked out the one that I have for you. Then pirate Windows 7/8 so you save 70-100$ :D Now, here is an organized list :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ddOW

I didn't pick out a case because I will leave that for you to do, I would recommend Corsair, Cooler master, or Raidmax for a case. Make sure it has some decent fans in it, and it fits everything fine, and the most important thing is it needs to have cable routing behind your motherboard so then you get nice airflow.

The cpu fan is optional, but recommended as your cpu will come with one.

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  5. Thanks for this info. I'll try upgrading the list if needed since I do have other games in mind such as Tribes Ascend, and GTA IV. I've had a case in mind for quite some time already. :)

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  6. What case is it?

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  7. Corsair Obsidian 650D

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  8. Terror

Terror

I don't know about computers, teach me dr.oshawott.

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  9. Step 1: Go on Google/YouTube

Step 2: Type in "Computer st00f"

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  10. Terror

Terror

nein, ich will lessons from dr.oshawott!!!!!

Posted Jul 4, 2013
  11. Nice man!

Posted Jul 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.