Help! Laptop issues!

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Scroll427, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys i was wondering if any of you guys knew what is wrong with my laptop. When ever i turn it on i see the normal windows thing and then it goes black after 5 seconds of the normal boot up the laptop still stays on but the mouse pad doesnt glow any more. After that if i cant even shut it down by holding down the power button. So i took the battery out and put it back in and it just turns on again. I was trying to get into the BIOS but i cant get there quick enough. Also i have had problems with viruses in the past and was wondering if that would be the problem. I have only had this laptop for about a year or two and i tried dusting it off with compressed air too.

Computer specs.
    Hp pavilion dv6
    Intel i5 quad core processor
    6 gb of RAM
    Windows 7

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  2. Dez

Dez

[MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] <3

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  3. What is that supposed to mean?

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  4. Dez

Dez

Maddog is our tech-boy, he'll surely have something to try. Just trying to direct him here quickly.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  5. Awesome, Thanks!

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  6. Maddog

Maddog

Possible Static.

Take out your battery and power cord.
    Wait 30 seconds.
    Hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    Wait 30 seconds and plug it all back in.

If this doesn't fix it, remember to [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] me so I can see and offer other suggestions.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  7. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] Well it got farther and i selected startup repair. Then it was going through the process and then i bumped the couch that the laptop was on and it just shutdown and it isnt starting back up (i have had this before i just wait a few hours and then i can turn it back on) would this be a hard drive problem then?

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  8. Maddog

Maddog

It could be a host of problems; Short Circuiting, static, hardware failure, software failure, and so much more.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  9. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] Well is there anyway to tell?

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  10. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] I got it turning on again but i still have the same problem with the screen going black....

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  11. Well, the thing is - the BIOS can not receive a virus, but it can be corrupt. If the BIOS is in these conditions, you will need to re-flash the BIOS.
    if you can boot past the BIOS, just put a Ununtu or Linux Mint disc in there and it will fix it right up.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  12. Maddog

Maddog

Indeed, try this. Get onto another computer and get a Linux Distro (Ubuntu) and put it on a USB and try and run it.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  13. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] I wish i could hug you right now!! I dont know how my laptop got fixed because i just took the battery out and left it out and watched a movie when i came back it was fixed!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  14. Maddog

Maddog

Probably Static as I said, takes some time to clear out.
    Also my 600th post.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  15. With computers, static is the death of them. Any static that is received on a component can kill it. Watch out for static. (This is why I do not use a Laptop.)

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  16. Maddog

Maddog

Static Buildup in Laptops is different to in components of a Desktop.
    The static buildup is a result of the battery and power cable and component build up, and circles around the laptop, in a desktop, static electricity on a component will fry it.

The taking out the power cable and battery and holding the power button allows the static to cycle through and release out of the laptop, allowing it to work properly.

Posted Jun 1, 2013
  17. Damn you're a god xD According to [MENTION=2009]scroll427[/MENTION],this request has been handled. If anyone wants this open again for some reason, contact me.

~Thread Closed~

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    Posted Jun 2, 2013
  18. [MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] Now my laptop just keeps on going to sleep and i dont think its the power settings...

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  19. Maddog

Maddog

Have you double checked them?

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  20. Wait... I fixed it from going to sleep but it sometimes turns off still

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  21. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

If it just shuts off in the middle of something, like a game/resource intensive program, it's probably overheating.

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  22. I dont think its over heating but its definitely from a intensive program because it usually only happens right when im launching garrys mod but i have ran garrys mod a lot before and it has been fine.

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  23. If there's even a chance of it overheating, buy a crappy fan from a cheap shop (got mine from Poundland in Brit-land). Will break after about 4 months, but extremely cheap and does the job.

-Jay.

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  24. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

Fan is either not fast enough (bearings?) or thermal grease needs replacing. Get some kind of core temp program and report back on idle temps and intensive use temps and report back. Your idle temps should only be about 25-40C

Posted Jun 5, 2013
  25. My idle temp is normal but i cant get an intensive temp because my laptop will just instantly shut down...

Posted Jun 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.