Internet speed suggestions?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by Dez, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dez

Dez

So I have an average ISP+ an average basic router from Verizon FIOS but since I've become so into gaming I really would like to maximize (or at least speed up) internet. Any suggestions on what to do or routers to get that aren't overly pricey?
    Thanks!

[MENTION=2930]Maddog[/MENTION] I know you're good with this kinda stuff.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Posted May 28, 2013
  2. Posted May 28, 2013
  3. Maddog

Maddog

Your speeds are going to be locked by your ISP. However, to maximize your internet speeds, make sure you're using Ethernet/RJ45/Cat5 connection over a wireless connection. This reduces packet loss and allows direct connection to your ISP, Rather than Wireless Signal.

Your router, if you want max speeds, can be upgraded to a better router which will allow all speeds possible from your ISP.

However, the MAIN speed factor is the connection type, Fiber Optic or Copper Cabling. Fiber is obviously the best connection we have for the transfer of data via light. This allows speeds of up to and BEYOND 1GBPS (with a SINGLE connection).

Your ISP Also has to allow you more download/upload speeds to get the most out of your connection, if they're capping you at 10down/2up, that's all you're going to get (with slight fluctuation above and below)

Posted May 28, 2013
  4. rosy91

rosy91

Try to get better router,
    When i had the same situation,My ISP told this.So i upgraded my router connection,Now my internet speed increased than before.Finally i confirmed whether my internet speed increased or not using ScanmySpeed.com

Posted Dec 3, 2013
  5. The router should not cause too many problems, you need to upgrade your data plan on your ISP.

Posted Dec 3, 2013
  6. SinS

SinS

#Wal-MartConnectionBest2k4ever

Posted Dec 3, 2013
  7. You don't need fiber or anything, 30megabits is plenty

Posted Dec 3, 2013
  8. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza Member

56k is the best pfft

Posted Dec 4, 2013
  9. Swagijuana