Help! Steam TF2 File Error!

Discussion in 'Technology Talk & Help' started by SwankMaster, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So the title pretty much explains it self. For some reason I keep getting these errors when I try to start up Team Fortress 2.

Error: Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'tf', Check your -game paramter or VCONFIG setting.

And I have NO idea that to do, I mean I'm not very good with this. So I am..pretty confused:confused:. So I'm asking for help, what should I do to fix this error so I can play TF2?!?!?!

Thank you:(.

Posted May 9, 2013
  2. Player#1

Player#1 Member

If your missing files for whatever reason you should reinstall tf2 unless you have tried that already.

Posted May 9, 2013
  3. You mean uninstall reinstall? I thought if I uninstalled TF2 I would lose everything. (No I didn't try it XD)

Posted May 9, 2013
  4. Cpt. Hopi

Cpt. Hopi Recruit

Try validating your files before anything

Posted May 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. And...how..do I do that...

Posted May 9, 2013
  6. Cpt. Hopi

Cpt. Hopi Recruit

In the steam program, right click on Team Fortress 2, click properties, then local files (something like that) then click Validate Files.

Posted May 9, 2013
  7. Suffering

Suffering Recruit

After you try Cpt. Hopi's method, if it doesn't work uninstalling tf2 and re-installing TF2 will NOT get rid of ANY of your items. The only thing it will get rid of is your stats when you log onto a server, those bars on the left or right hand side of the loading screen, everything else is kept on your steam profile. TF2 items are kept in your Steam inventory under the TF2 tab, regardless if you have TF2 or not if you have played it before it will give you the steam inventory tab that you will have forever.

Posted May 9, 2013
  8. Thank guys I got it working :D! But now I got ALOT of lag for some reason....but I got TF2 back. So thanks alot!

Posted May 9, 2013
  9. Suffering

Suffering Recruit

How did you get it working so that people know for future reference.

Posted May 9, 2013
  10. Well I followed Cpt. Hopi's idea: right click on Team Fortress 2, click properties, then local files, then click Validate Files (Verify Integrity). And that is how I got it to work.

Posted May 9, 2013
  11. Tech

Tech

Alright so I'm going to guess this is a bump but I have had this same problem ever since I installed some skins for my weapons. I'm not sure what I did wrong (I read all of the .txt files) and I tried Cpt. Hopi's method but I couldn't find the exact Validate Files command ( I used 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache)

Posted Feb 23, 2014
  12. Suffering

Suffering Recruit

That is what you do. If that doesn't work I'd recommend you uninstall and re-install TF2

Posted Feb 23, 2014
  13. Tech

Tech

Alright so uninstalling and reinstalling the game has at least made it playable but now all my skins don't work.

Posted Feb 24, 2014
  14. LOL

LOL

just create a gameinfo.txt next time. you dont have to put anything in it. that will save you a LOT of time

Posted Feb 24, 2014
  15. Tech

Tech

All my skins don't work ever since I fixed TF2

Posted Feb 27, 2014
  16. Tech

Tech

^^^

Posted Mar 1, 2014
  17. Tech

Tech

gawd

Posted Mar 2, 2014
  18. LOL

LOL

re install them

Posted Mar 2, 2014
  19. LOL

LOL

when you re-install the game. it deletes EVERYTHING. except the files it needs to run. this includes. screenshots in screenshot folder. custom CFG's, skins. and sprays.

Posted Mar 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.